Highlights from the annual Nationwide Retail Federation survey of faculty, Okay-12, back-to-school spending.
- Households with kids in elementary by highschool plan to spend a mean of $848.90 on faculty objects, which is $59 greater than final 12 months.
- Whole back-to-school spending is anticipated to achieve a file $37.1 billion, up from $33.9 billion final 12 months and an all-time excessive within the survey’s historical past.
- School college students and their households plan to spend a mean of $1,200.32 on faculty or college objects, a rise of $141 over final 12 months.
- Over half ($80) of this enhance is because of elevated spending on electronics and dorm furnishings.
- Whole back-to-college spending is anticipated to achieve a file $71 billion, up from $67.7 billion in 2020.
- The overwhelming majority (76 p.c) of Okay-12 consumers have been nonetheless ready on lists for college provides as of earlier this month.
- On common, customers reported that they’d accomplished solely 18 p.c of their back-to-class purchases up to now by early July.
“Shoppers are spending extra on objects like electronics and clothes as they make plans for college students to renew actions in individual this fall,” Prosper Insights government vp of technique Phil Rist stated.
Prime locations for Okay-12 consumers
On-line (48 p.c)
Shops (48 p.c)
Low cost shops (44 p.c)
Clothes shops (41 p.c)
Workplace provides shops (27 p.c)
Electronics shops (27 p.c)
The highest locations for faculty consumers
On-line (43 p.c)
Shops (33 p.c)
Low cost shops (30 p.c)
Workplace provides shops (29 p.c)
School bookstores (28 p.c)