Yesterday, Google published a blog post containing five easy ways that retail businesses can spruce up their Google presence to connect with holiday shoppers — wherever they may be. Thanks to Google for letting us share a version of this post by Rajas Moonka, director, product management, local shopping.
The holidays can be the most hectic — and the most important — time of the year for business owners. And this year shoppers have found ways locally for online shopping and curbside pickups.
To make the most of this season and connect with shoppers wherever they are, use Google Maps and Google Business Profile.
1. Claim your free Business Profile to put your best face forward on Google Maps and Search. Make sure your Business Profile is updated with helpful information about your store—like updated hours, a description and photos, shopping options, and all the safety measures you’re taking during the pandemic. Pro tip: Double check if your phone number is correct and turn on messaging so you can quickly connect with customers who have questions.
2. Share the gift of updated in-store inventory (online!): Unsurprisingly, 77 percent of holiday shoppers in the U.S. said they will browse for gift ideas online this year instead of in-store. Thanks to Pointy from Google, you can easily show your products online so shoppers can see what you carry before they head to the store to make a purchase. Pointy connects to your point-of-sale system and automatically adds your in-store products to your Business Profile on Google. This helps you to appear in search results when shoppers are looking for items you carry.
3. Help them order ahead, still tucked in their beds: Searches for “curbside pickup” have grown more than 3,000 percent globally since last year. Let customers know how they can shop with you—whether you’re offering curbside pickup, in-store pickup or delivery options.
4. Oh, what fun it is to buy online for pickup and delivery: Add ordering link(s) for pickup or delivery to your profile. If you’re a verified retail merchant in the U.S., you can now add a link to your online store directly to your Business Profile on Google. This helps shoppers easily place a pickup or delivery order from you with a few simple taps!
5. ‘Tis the season to share more about your business: Shoppers are looking to purchase from local businesses that they feel good about supporting. Spruce up your Business Profile and connect with your community by showing whether you’re LGBTQ-friendly or women-led, or in the U.S. and identify as Black-owned or veteran-led.
For more ways to deck out your Google presence, watch Grow with Google’s Quick Help YouTube videos. The short videos will help answer a variety of small business questions, from how to make the most of digital tools to how to start a live stream. We know the holiday season can be overwhelming, but with this checklist in hand there will be no need to get your tinsel in a tangle.